Smart Filmmaking with Roger Corman
Smart Filmmaking Course with Roger Corman®
This intensive one-day filmmaking seminar, led by award-winning and world-famous Hollywood director and producer, Roger Corman and leading film producer and film financier, Kieran Corrigan, and their film industry guest speakers will guide you through the craft and business of smart filmmaking. This course will teach you the essential skills necessary to make a cost-effective film.
We do not have any dates for this course at the moment, please contact us.
- This practical, hands-on, immersive course in contemporary filmmaking will bring you through the creative and business processes of smart filmmaking.
- You will be given a unique insight into Corman’s filmmaking philosophy and be given practical lessons in the pre-production, production and post production of a budget conscious film.
- You will be given an insight into future challenges and strategies in today’s film world.
- You will explore financing sources, as well as budgetary issues and challenges.
- You will look at existing film tax incentives and sales and distribution issues and strategies.
During the course you will have opportunities to network in an informal setting with fellow attendees, tutors and representatives from the film and TV industry.
Who Will Benefit From This Smart Filmmaking Course?
This course is for participants who want to “step into” the filmmaking industry as either an independent filmmaker, producer or director, working to a tight budget. Attendees may wish to use the knowledge gained as an additional skill within their employment, to support their clients and grow their business, or may see this as a stepping stone or a foundation course to take the next step into the film industry.
This is a bespoke service catering for all skill levels, where participants will have the opportunity to engage with the highly experienced course instructors Roger Corman, an award-winning film director and producer with over 40 years' experience at the highest level, and Kieran Corrigan, a leading film producer and financier.
On the successful completion of your course, you will be awarded a personalised Irish Film School Certificate of Completion in Smart Filmmaking, signed by Roger Corman and Kieran Corrigan, in recognition of your educational achievement.
You will also be invited to join the IFS Alumni Association where you can continue to exchange information, share tips and receive exclusive offers and invitations to events.
Part 1:Business of Film with Kieran Corrigan
Part 2: Craft and Business with Roger Corman
Part 1: Business of Film
Module 1: Sources of funding:
- Public schemes
- Crowd funding for film
Module 2: Film Finance:
- Private equity
- Gap financing
Module 3: Budgeting:
- Key budgetary issues
Module 4: Film Tax Incentives
Module 5: Sales and Distribution:
Part 2: Craft and Business of Film
Module 1: Introduction and Discussion
- Corman’s Filmmaking Philosophy:
- Learning by watching movies (good and bad)
- Technique, movement, actors and cut
- The role of the mentor
- Spending money efficiently and intelligently
Module 2: Practical Lessons for Filmmakers
- Budget conscious writing:
- The importance of the story and the script
- Use of natural locations in your writing
- Smart Pre-Production:
- Using this time wisely
- Solving problems in advance of shooting
- Sketching of shots beforehand
- Talent Management:
- Seeking out new talent
- Taking time in casting
- Complex performances through improvisation
- On-Set Strategies
- Confidence on-set
- The role of the producer during production
- Flexibility with shots
- The Use of the Camera:
- Framing shots
- Setting up of shots
- Camera movement
- Tips for making it go smoothly
- Supporting the director
Module 3: Future Challenges and Strategies
- The rise of television
- How young independent filmmakers are challenging the establishment
- Sourcing financing today
- Overcoming struggles with distribution
- Reasons to be optimistic about the film world
Social Programme: networking drinks
Presentation of Certificates by Roger Corman and Kieran Corrigan
This one-day Smart Filmmaking course is designed to give you a hands-on, intensive and immersive introduction into the craft and business of cost-effective filmmaking.
The IFS social programme will allow you to network with like-minded individuals and build valuable relationships and contacts with your fellow students and with professionals from within the film industry.
At the end of the course you will have gained a unique insight into the art of making a film with a strict budget in today’s competitive, global film industry.
Upon successful completion of the course you will be presented with a personalised Irish Film School Certificate of Completion in Filmmaking, signed by Roger Corman and Kieran Corrigan, in recognition of your learning and achievement.
Our Alumni Association will allow you to stay in touch long after your course has finished and will give you a forum where you can exchange information, share tips and receive exclusive offers and invitations to events.
This course is for participants who want to “step into” the filmmaking industry as either an independent filmmaker, producer or director. Attendees may wish to use the knowledge gained as an additional skill within their employment, to support their clients and grow their business, or may see this as a stepping stone or a foundation course to take the next step into the film industry.
- Personal tuition from an internationally acclaimed and award-winning film director and producer
- Coursework folder with comprehensive notes to take home
- State-of-the-art studios and classrooms
- Limited number in student cohort
- Easy transport links to the campus
- Certificate of Completion
- Full social programme
- Networking opportunities
- Access to exclusive Alumni Association
Lights, Camera, Action!
Places are limited. So, take your first step into the business and contact us today!